Monday, November 14, 2011

Letters to my grandson- What's in a name ?

My dear Nikhil

It was good to see you today. You looked very handsome indeed. Not at all like a "lil monkey" . I have told your father to call you Nikhil or if he likes "handsome" or just "Nik" . 


But perhaps he forgets your name. After all he is getting old! So ask your grandma, the one giving you the milk bottle, to change the shirts you wear. Instead of just " I love daddy" they should all read  "I love daddy - Nikhil." That way they will not forget your name.

After all Nikhil is a lovely name and your Bua, your godmother, spent a lot of time getting it right. What does it mean? It means "perfection" or "complete". Which you are. 

All of us have to go through these problems of having to train your parents. See when I was young, yes, your dada was like you once, my mother called me "baby". Since I was the youngest I had to answer. Mostly they just forgot my name. Imagine that. Anil is a simple name isn't  it? So one day I went to my mothers dad ,she was the biggest culprit, and told him I was going to stop eating if any one called me a "baby". That stopped them. My moms dad gave her a firing and that was that. Of course, I was a little older than you are and had a better variety of food. But you need to start early with these people with fading memories!

with all our love

Dada and Dadi

No comments:

Post a Comment